Harry Bertoia was an Italian American artist, clay art sculptor and furniture designer. Born on 10.3.1915 in Pordeno-Italy.
Bertoia visited his brother in Detroit, Michigan at the age of 15 and decided to stay in the US from then on. At Detroit's Cass Technic AC High Scool, Bertoia took classes in both art and design, and he learned the jeweler's trade.
In 1936, Harry Bertoia attended the Detroit Society of Arts and Craffts art school. In 1938, Bertoia received a scholarship to Canbrook Accademy. In 1939, he began a workshop in which he taught metalworking and jewelry making, among other subjects.
In 1940, Bertoia focused entirely on furniture making. During World War 2, after marrying, he went to California, where he began working for Charles and Ray Eames.
In 1950, Bertoia moved to Pensylvania to open his own studio. He began his work for Hans Knoll, which included five seating designs. The innovative wire chairs he designed for Knoll international in 1951 - one of which has become famous as the Diamond Chair - were a great financial success, which was enough for him to live on and he then devoted himself exclusively to sculpture.